A few winter project questions

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 93 kawasaki voyager xii
89 yamaha venture royale
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 55 times

A few winter project questions

Post by Conrad »

A few questions I'm hoping the good people on this forum can help me out with....

First: i plan on making a tie-bar for between the front crash bar. Haven't found a post with dimensions, and my crash bars are tweaked a bit. Can anyone tell me what the gap between SHOULD be, so i know how long to make tie-bar?

Second: fork springs. As i understand, when installing progressive springs, one should leave out the filter/spacer under the fork cap due to the new springs being longer than stock. However, when i opened my forks, the spacer WAS there, but the springs were "progressive", i assume they were changed and the spacer left in. Can anyone tell me the length of stock springs?

Third: ten pin conector, is the part that fails the pigtail coming directly from the ignition switch? (switch was replaced by p.o.,so my assumption is since switch and pigtail are new i'm good, unless problems are typically south of that pigtail)

Thanks folks!!
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 812 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: A few winter project questions

Post by cushman eagle »

Conrad ,I am sorry,I cannot help you with #1,and#2,except Kevin Wanner makes the tie bar.
On #3 you should be good,as that pigtail is the only electrical issue I have had with my '99 in 13 years and 83,000 miles :thmup:
Replacement batteries not included :hmm:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
Conrad (Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:44 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 812 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I am back to you Conrad,I just measured the distance between my crashbars,and it is 14",and I already have Kevins brace installed. :thmup:
Kevin's AVA handle is chevyman1 :corn:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
Conrad (Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:39 am)
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
89 yamaha venture royale

Post by Conrad »

cushman eagle wrote: ↑Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:38 am I am back to you Conrad,I just measured the distance between my crashbars,and it is 14",and I already have Kevins brace installed. :thmup:
Kevin's AVA handle is chevyman1 :corn:
Awesome, thanks!!
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

When I first installed my Progressive Fork Springs, I left the spacers in... The forks were ridiculously stiff! I was unable to flex them more than a few millimeters, throwing my upper body weight onto the handlebars! When I took them out, and assembled the forks, they were m-u-c-h better. The Progressive Fork Springs are truly an improvement over the OEM Springs.

The Progressive Rear Shocks are not like Ohlins, but they're quite good, compared to what I had on my 1979 Honda's OEM sealed shocks (replaced the Honda's OEM shocks with Progressives, first, which sold me on them for my Voyager, a couple of years later). I never replaced the oil in my Voyager's OEM shocks, I just installed Progressives.

I ride 2-up, 99% of the time. I bought normal duty Springs for my Progressive Shocks: the Shocks blew out within two months! I ordered new Shocks, and Heavy Duty Springs, and we've been riding those for around 10 years, now, without issue. If you have the OEM shocks installed, be sure to change the oil in them, at the very least.

If you want to forego the air assist, and messing with a compressor to inflate your rear suspension, replace the OEM shocks with Progressive sealed Shocks. They will last a good many years, and a good many miles, before you need to replace them -- and no compressor needed. Cheers!
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
Conrad (Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:08 pm)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
89 yamaha venture royale

Post by Conrad »

SgtSlag wrote: ↑Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:29 pm When I first installed my Progressive Fork Springs, I left the spacers in... The forks were ridiculously stiff! I was unable to flex them more than a few millimeters, throwing my upper body weight onto the handlebars! When I took them out, and assembled the forks, they were m-u-c-h better. The Progressive Fork Springs are truly an improvement over the OEM Springs.

The Progressive Rear Shocks are not like Ohlins, but they're quite good, compared to what I had on my 1979 Honda's OEM sealed shocks (replaced the Honda's OEM shocks with Progressives, first, which sold me on them for my Voyager, a couple of years later). I never replaced the oil in my Voyager's OEM shocks, I just installed Progressives.

I ride 2-up, 99% of the time. I bought normal duty Springs for my Progressive Shocks: the Shocks blew out within two months! I ordered new Shocks, and Heavy Duty Springs, and we've been riding those for around 10 years, now, without issue. If you have the OEM shocks installed, be sure to change the oil in them, at the very least.

If you want to forego the air assist, and messing with a compressor to inflate your rear suspension, replace the OEM shocks with Progressive sealed Shocks. They will last a good many years, and a good many miles, before you need to replace them -- and no compressor needed. Cheers!

See that's the funny thing, if anything my front end is kinda soft and mushy, hence why i'm wondering about spring length.

And it already has progressives out back. Not sure which springs, but it rides fine wit me and the mrs. And we sure ain't as skinny as we used to be 🀣

Thanks!
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
89 yamaha venture royale

Post by Conrad »

After re-reading last 2 posts, i realized i may just be a bonehead. I assumed the spacer and the filter were the same part. After looking again at the exploded view, i see they are 2 separate parts :bat:
So mine has the filter, but no spacer, as i assume it should be, and I'm an idiot :gig:
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

Conrad wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:05 pm but the springs were "progressive"
Just for clarification: are you referring to 'Progressive' brand springs or 'progressive wound' springs, (the OEM springs have a 'progressive wind')?
These users liked Van Voyager's post:
Conrad (Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:17 am)
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
89 yamaha venture royale

Post by Conrad »

Van Voyager wrote: ↑Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:28 pm
Conrad wrote: ↑Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:05 pm but the springs were "progressive"
Just for clarification: are you referring to 'Progressive' brand springs or 'progressive wound' springs, (the OEM springs have a 'progressive wind')?

Exactly!!!! The springs in my bike are "progressively " wound. So is it safe to assume they are PROGRESSIVE brand (or at least a different aftermarket brand)??

Or were the factory springs "progressively " wound also?
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

No the stock springs are NOT progressively tighter spacing wound so I would assume, as you have, they are PROGRESSIVE brand springs.
These users liked triton28's post:
Conrad (Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:16 am)
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
89 yamaha venture royale

Post by Conrad »

triton28 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:38 am No the stock springs are NOT progressively tighter spacing wound so I would assume, as you have, they are PROGRESSIVE brand springs.
Pretty much what I figured, but we all know what happens when one assumes :gig:

Thanks!!
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Check the Progressive web site for the length of their springs, for your XII, unloaded. If you cannot find it, contact them, by phone or e-mail, and ask. Then lay your fork springs out on the ground, and measure their length, unloaded. If they are shorter, either they are the wrong springs for your bike, or they are worn out and sagging. If they come up short, replace them. Cheers!
:thmup:
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
Conrad (Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:59 pm)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
89 yamaha venture royale

Post by Conrad »

^^^^^^
Good thinking, it didn't occur to me to check for the spec from progressive! 20 3/4" , which is what mine measure.
These users liked Conrad's post:
SgtSlag (Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:09 pm)

Return to β€œTech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”