Hard Start after sitting solutions - Fuel Pump Override?

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

The Masked Rider
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Hard Start after sitting solutions - Fuel Pump Override?

Post by The Masked Rider »

Joe, I did my wiring the same way. Making a jumper. When I said 'splice', I used that term as a general statement because most people would know what it ment. A switced interuption in a circuit. Anyway, the point got across. The rubber switch cover you can usually get at your local hardware store or an electronic supply house. The nut that holds it in place is actually part of the rubber sleeve cover. You use it instead of the little silver nut that comes with the switch. Or, you can just get a water proof switch. I think some of them come with a RED switch handle. OR you can get one of those cool ones that have the RED safety covers you need to left to turn on the switch. :lol: HAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa
Fritz :hpdc:
stasch

Post by stasch »

To heck with the electrics already. Put some Seafoam in and see what happens.\
? Can you elaborate? I'm not seeing how this would help with the initial problem of low float bowl levels after sitting for a week or two.
gene44
Current bike(s): 2003 kawasaki voyagerXII
2017 BMW F800GT

Post by gene44 »

:please: no image shows up as to how to wire in the fuel pump switch. Is there a way to get a diagram on this?
Hopefully .
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 550 times

Post by Nails »

Well, I started to respond that "Search is your friend", but I can't find it either. I saw a lot of posts about this when I did this mod. But I tried several searches now and couldn't find them.

I had to sift through Barry's old posts to find viewtopic.php?p=90792#p90792. Scroll down for what you need.

"Long crank times" might work.
--
Nails
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by triton28 »

After consulting the electrical whiz bang circuit app, one needs to interrupt the Black/White wire before where it connects to the starter relay with a single pole single throw switch.
That way when the switch is an open circuit, (OFF), the starter will not engage when one depresses the start button. However all else including the fuel pump will operate and when the fuel pump has done it's job and filled the float bowls, indicated by decreasing clicks and then no clicks, turn the switch to the closed circuit position, (ON), and the starter will engage when the start button is again depressed and the engine will crank over and start.
This installation will work on the Black/Yellow wire before where it connects to the starter relay as well. Your choice.
Happy priming.
Dave
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 550 times

Post by Nails »

triton28 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:36 pm After consulting the electrical whiz bang circuit app
Don't ask. Dave refuses to tell anyone how to make that app go. :!!
--
Nails

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”