Lack of fuel

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

86zg1200
Current bike(s): 1986 kawasaki voyager zg1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Lack of fuel

Post by 86zg1200 »

Very first post, here. Sorry if this has been covered. Just acquired this 86 zg1200. The carbs were off of it when I got it. B***h to put back on with the air box... finally got them on. Previous owner said that the only thing wrong with the bike was the push start button. I (accidently) found that if I ground the yellow/green wire on starter relay, the push button works and the bike turns over. However it only starts on ether. Tells me it's not getting enough fuel. At first, the fuel pump would audibly click when u turn the key on. I even took the line off and pumped some gas out of the tank then put fresh gas in. Now, I unplug the fuel line and it doesn't pump any out. Unless... you turn it over. It is definitely pumping fuel when turned over. So I've tried and tried but only hits on starting fluid. Question is fuel pump or carbs? At fuel pump, red wire is hot, black and yellow is grounded, black and white will turn the bike over, and the black shows hot with a test light when turned over.. ßmetimes with just the key on, but no fuel pumping out... I hope these carbs don't have to come off!!
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1998 Voyager xii Green and Black
2007 KTM Super Enduro 950
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Lack of fuel

Post by Bonnie and Clyde »

Probably the pump. You can get the pump out and in without taking the carbs off. Its tight but it can be done.
wishing I was riding around the world
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Post by Nails »

I think you already figured it out: a screwed-up wiring-harness issue leaving the fuel pump only actually working in "start" not "run". There's a schematic here somewhere, I think that "New owners" sticky. I suggest spending some quality time with it to see how that "yellow/green" wire is supposed to work.

You can unscrew the carb float-bowl drains to see if they actually have fuel. If not, then maybe the pump isn't even getting power. (Again, I think you already figured that out.)
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

The fuel pump normally only runs when the engine is turning over :hmm:
On my'99,I installed a starter relay interrupt switch to disable the starter while I have the starter button pushed, so I can prime the carbs if I haven't ridden for a while. :woohoo:
Once the carbs are full I close the interrupt so it is back to normal operation.
The topic can be found on this forum
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
ted1r (Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:06 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
86zg1200
Current bike(s): 1986 kawasaki voyager zg1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Post by 86zg1200 »

Got her going! The plug was messed up on the fuel pump side. I believe it was an aftermarket, because two wires pulled right out. I pulled the rest out and made it work... I did also pull the carb again I'm going to sync them next but need the proper equipment. She runs anyways, happy about that.
These users liked 86zg1200's post:
GrandpaDenny (Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:04 pm) • ted1r (Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:07 pm)
Rating: 25%
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Glad you found and repaired the problem :woohoo:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”