1989 voyager XII no power to ignition switch.

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

1blurryface2u
Current bike(s): 89 voyager xii

81 Honda cb750 custom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

1989 voyager XII no power to ignition switch.

Post by 1blurryface2u »

89 Kawasaki voyager XII have power to accessory on acc position, but nothing on when switched to on position. Bad ignition switch? Wire? How do I remove the switch or test it? Can't afford to throw parts at it.
Lucasind
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager 1200
1988 Voyager 1200
1985 Voyager 1300
2008 Concourse 1400
1985 LTD 1100
1981 CSR 1000
1981 CSR 650
1979 KZ 650
1973 XL 350
1988 Eliminator
1975 CB 125
1965 S 65
and a bunch of parts !
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: 1989 voyager XII no power to ignition switch.

Post by Lucasind »

A common problem to the XII , but after you find it and fix it ,your good to go for years of riding !

Intermittent Electrical Problem
(headlight, gauges, brake and tail)
From the AVA Archives
By Denny Zion

Problem: Occasional loss of headlight, fuel and temperature gauge readings, as well as tachometer, brake and tail lights. Interruptions usually occur periodically. Loss could become more numerous as time goes on. Fuses appear or check out OK.
Solution: More times than not, a problem exists with the large connector just after the fuse block. Possibly caused by excess water or dampness otherwise getting into this connection. The electrical connection within this connector (plug) becomes corroded to the point that it makes intermittent contact with it's opposite pin that powers these items. Disconnect this plug and thoroughly clean all the pins on both sides of the connector. A good electrical cleaner should do the trick (such as electrical contact cleaner at a electronics store, or comparable). After all contacts or pins are cleaned, a good application of electrical anti-corrosive grease (usually for aluminum cable- available at electrical contractor stores) should prevent this from happening again.

Also you can do a search on the first page of this forum . Where it says "search" in the top green strip...type in clue words like "cutting wire ties" there you can read many posts made over the years regarding this topic......hope this helps...............................Tony :-D

here is a link to some reading :
http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/searc ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oops ! link not working....so you will have to do your own forum search.
90% OF ANY JOB ...IS GETTING STARTED !
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 805 times
Been liked: 270 times

Re: 1989 voyager XII no power to ignition switch.

Post by cushman eagle »

1blurryface2u wrote:89 Kawasaki voyager XII have power to accessory on acc position, but nothing on when switched to on position. Bad ignition switch? Wire? How do I remove the switch or test it? Can't afford to throw parts at it.
My '99 had already had 2 of the wires in the ignition switch harness repaired, when I bought it at 22000 miles, so for a winter service project I had all the wires replaced using the original switch and plug.Many times the harness was tied too tight to the steering head,stressing the wires as the bike was steered.As Tony said,there are many posts regarding this issue.
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”