Quick double-check on fork rebuilds

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

Quick double-check on fork rebuilds

Post by Heavy Armor »

OK, so I got my front forks out (much thanks for the how-to in the Tech section, it was a breeze). I just have a few questions about converting over to the Progressive springs that I haven't been able to clarify just yet.

1.) I found the part number for the Progressive springs themselves. When I order a fork rebuild kit, I'm still looking for all the normal factory seals, right? There's nothing special or different I need to be looking for in relation to parts?

2.) Should I replace rubber seals around the air tube? Is that part of the rebuild kit?

3.) OR since I'm doing the Progressive springs, should I just do away with the air system altogether? What would be the recommended way to handle that?

4.) Nails mentioned adding a pressure relief valve someplace. Should I seriously be looking into that, and if so, what would the part be?

Many thanks! I think this is the last thing I need to deal with before FINALLY getting this thing back on the road. What a slow project. :pig:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Re: Quick double-check on fork rebuilds

Post by Nails »

Heavy Armor wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:52 pmI'm still looking for all the normal factory seals, right?
And bushings.
Heavy Armor wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:52 pmShould I replace rubber seals around the air tube? Is that part of the rebuild kit?
I don't know about a "kit". Just order the parts you need. See below.
Heavy Armor wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:52 pmshould I just do away with the air system altogether? What would be the recommended way to handle that?
With the Progressives, I plugged the fork air holes with JB Weld and ditched the air manifold. If I had it to do again, I'd keep the manifold and rig a bleed-off valve. (I might drill out the JB Weld.) I think it's best to minimize the internal volume of this plumbing.
Heavy Armor wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:52 pmNails mentioned adding a pressure relief valve someplace.
Got the idea from Don. It's all his fault.
--
Nails
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Heavy Armor »

I discovered there's a local shop the next town over that specializes in fork rebuilds (how convenient!). I asked about the cost, and I actually think my jaw dropped. $800 NOT including bushing or seals! And I told them the forks are already off the bike! Color me crazy, but this seems steeeep, to put it mildly.

Am I wrong?
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Post by Nails »

That's ridiculous. I don't remember now, but I'm pretty sure my local shop charged $75 or less. That's labor only (I brought in the parts -- not MaKa -- and oil), but included buffing out a scratch on an inner tube. They also had to fuss with the air holes (keeping the shock upright).
--
Nails
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Heavy Armor »

OK yeah I thought that was a bit extreme. He quickly mentioned something about my bike using cartridges and yadda yadda, so I can only guess that he was pricing that, but I think we've talked before about converting to cartridges, so maybe he's just mistaken. I don't know enough about forks to be able to talk shop.
buzzcut
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 zg1200, 1986 zg1000, 1983 gs1100, 1981 cm400a
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by buzzcut »

for what its worth, I definitely prefer having air with the progressives. Took a long time to figure that out though. No air and I was quite unhappy with the front end feel. You might want to keep it in case. Just don't use it but if removed there is no option.
These users liked buzzcut's post:
Heavy Armor (Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:46 pm)
Rating: 12.5%

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”