clutch disc thickness

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Larry in Arkansas
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

clutch disc thickness

Post by Larry in Arkansas »

I am pretty sure I have a worn out clutch on my 2001 Voyager. I replaced all the clutch components in February 2007. I got my parts from Carl Leo when he was at the dealership in Memphis. He sent me the 13089-1004 steel disc. I noticed that they offer 2 other thicknesses. If you replace the friction plates, what would be the purpose of the two other thicknesses?
https://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-pa ... embly.html
Stew
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CT70
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: clutch disc thickness

Post by Stew »

I've never had the clutch apart on mine so I'm not too sure, but in section 5-10 in the manual on the clutch it states this.

-The first steel plate and the last steel plate must be a thinner one [2.6mm thick]. The other plates from the second to the seventh must be a thicker one [2.9mm thick].

Sort of doesn't jive though, because the thicknesses stated in the manual are different than the ones you posted on the parts fiche.
Hopefully this makes sense, like I said I haven't had mine apart I just had a quick peek at the manual.

Cheers!
Stew
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Starting with the B-5 model, (1992), changes in the clutch hub/plate assembly required more accurate means of providing the spring plate clearances required as a result of the changes mentioned.
This varying compensation is accomplished by utilizing different thicknesses of the steel plates.
For a complete description and assembly check/procedure see Chapter 5 of the Motorcycle Service Manual Supplement.
Dave
Larry in Arkansas
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Larry in Arkansas »

You are correct. The Service Manual Supplement indicates 7 of the 2.3 and one 2.6 initially, and then measure the spring plate free play. You would then use a 2.3 or 2.0 to get the correct measurement. That spring plate free plate measurement process looks almost impossible to measure, so I sure 7- 2.3 and 1- 2.6 will be perfect. :-D I can't remember the last time I checked the supplement.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”