What's under the left side "Kawasaki" door?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

What's under the left side "Kawasaki" door?

Post by Heavy Armor »

The little door above the lower left vent in the cowling.... what is that originally? I can't find any images of it open, and seems to be a common spot for people to mount their own electronic gizmos. Someone used a hole saw and mounted a 12V power outlet in mine. The exploded parts diagram just says "transceiver", but I dunno what that could be (Google search kicks back pics of the stereo). Something to do with the CB maybe?
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: What's under the left side "Kawasaki" door?

Post by SgtSlag »

I believe that is where the OEM CB Radio was housed. The factory CB Radio is a "transceiver," and the only transceiver I can think of, other than some other type of two-way radio.

I mounted my 12 Volt Accessory Power Outlet on top of the fake gas tank, attaching it to the top of the Cruise Control switch housing (more than enough free space for the mounting screws, without hitting anything...). I mounted a sub-fuse block beneath the fake gas tank -- plenty of room for it, and I needed to put it somewhere centrally located, close to the Battery... I connected my automotive, Hi/Lo tone horns, through a relay, wired directly to the Battery, to avoid burning out the horn button's wiring, and to give the horns all the power they needed, to be as loud as possible, when/if I need to blast my presence to everyone around me.

We bikers tend to get creative on where/how we mount accessories. If the space wasn't filled by the factory, it is fair game for after-market gizmos to be mounted. :rolling: Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

That is where I put my starter relay interrupt switch to prime my carbs when I have not ridden in a week or more. :thmup:
Using that switch , I hit the start button,with the ignition switch on,and when I hear the fuel pump stop clicking,I know the carbs are full,and ready to start the engine. :woohoo:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Heavy Armor »

cushman eagle wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:20 am That is where I put my starter relay interrupt switch to prime my carbs when I have not ridden in a week or more. :thmup:
Using that switch , I hit the start button,with the ignition switch on,and when I hear the fuel pump stop clicking,I know the carbs are full,and ready to start the engine. :woohoo:
Whoah, that's a neat idea! This thing always makes me wonder if it's going to start.... usually takes 3 or 4 tries before it fires off. But it's been in repair mode for like 2 years, so I'm only starting it once every month or so.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Heavy Armor wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:33 pm The little door above the lower left vent in the cowling.... what is that originally? I can't find any images of it open, and seems to be a common spot for people to mount their own electronic gizmos. Someone used a hole saw and mounted a 12V power outlet in mine. The exploded parts diagram just says "transceiver", but I dunno what that could be (Google search kicks back pics of the stereo). Something to do with the CB maybe?
That's where the control head for the factory CB goes.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”