Air Horns 1986 1300

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

38 special
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Air Horns 1986 1300

Post by 38 special »

HI guys, I've can't seem to get my air horns to work. I hooked up a different battery to them and they work. So I checked the fuse block. The fuse looks good. I put a testor on both ends of the fuse and the light comes on so it must be between the switch and the fuse block. Any idea what to check or which wire to check. Right now the gas tank is off so when I turned on the keys my son got a gas bath (he was helping me). Grody!
Scott in IL
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2 x 1984 ZN1300 Voyager
2001 BMW K1200LT

Re: Air Horns 1986 1300

Post by Scott in IL »

It might be in the switch itself.
Find the nearest plug and try a jumper wire. According to the wiring diagram, it looks like the Black/White wire is for the horn. Grounding that wire should make the horn work. If it works, than it is probably the switch which you could try cleaning. If not, it might be the horn relay.
There are 4 wires at the relay. Black/White from the switch to the relay, Red from the relay to the horns, White/Red from the fuse to the relay, and Brown from the relay connecting to many other things.
Let me know if this helps.

Scott
38 special
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: Air Horns 1986 1300

Post by 38 special »

Sweeet. Thanks, Scott. As soon as it stops snowing and warms up I'll go out to try that. That's a great help to know which wire is which.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”