12 volt accessory plug installation

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

gsmorgansen
Streetster
Streetster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

12 volt accessory plug installation

Post by gsmorgansen »

If somebody has installed an accessory 12 volt accessory plug, for a gps power supply to plug into for instance, tell me how you did it and send pictures if you can.

Greg
Greg in Clackamas, Oregon
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Re: 12 volt accessory plug installation

Post by flip18436572 »

This should be a post that should show many different setups. Mine is in the window area where the C.B. goes, because mine was missing the cover, so I made a steel plate and mounted the 12v to that. It is a temporary connection, but I haven't finalized it. Some have them on the bars, others have them in the cassette storage area.

I hope people post up some new completed connections.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Got mine from a marine supply. Supposed to be watertight and corrosion resistant.

That's my running light switch in red in case you were wondering.
2010 Voyager 1700
suzib6sw
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): '86 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by suzib6sw »

I put one socket, like others, where the CB would be normally fitted on the left fairing. The power for it is taken from the connectors just behind the headlight.. There is a 10 amp circuit there. You can use Bullet connectors to take off two feeds.
For the other, I used one of the car type 3 way outlets from Walmart.. I mounted that behind the mirror in the trunk with double sided sticky tape after cleaning the area with rubbing alcohol. The feed for that is between the rear seat and the trunk.. There is a junction bag there for want of a better word, with another dual pair of sockets.. Both power points are on the Circuit diagram and label Acc circuit..
Cheers.
Pete
Pete
Want MP3 or GPS Mods to the Voyager Radio or have a Broken Radio or CB? Call me 540 391 0884 or Carl
https://sites.google.com/site/voyagerradiorepairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1986 Voyager XII
ksawatsky
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by ksawatsky »

I have 4 -- a pigtail in the trunk (unswitched) for charging the Nolan helmets when needed, two in the right dash glovebox (currently one is for GPS and the other for the Sirius radio) and one on the left dash for my phone. The one that's exposed (left dash) is a Blue Sea marine product. The three switched sockets are all switched by a relay and are on separate fuses on my accessory fuse panel.

EDIT: I had a 12V socket next to the fader (I drilled a hole where David's is) but when I had to replace my dash (don't ask...) I decided that since my rear speakers were removed a long time ago, the fader could go and I found that the Blue Sea plate is an almost perfect fit. The PO of my bike had installed one under the CB "cover" which worked great for occasional use, but I was afraid that constant use would eventually break the hinge.

Kevin Sawatsky, Caddo Mills, TX
IBA #487
2001 BMW K1200LT
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

I have a bad cigarette lighter in the spot were David has one, and I thought it was stock, but looking at Kevin's he doesn't even have a hole there. So, I put a water proof one where the CB goes, because I didn't have a cover like Kevin shows in his picture.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
Marty in Texas
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Marty in Texas »

I have 3 on my XII. One is in the right glove box and is a dual.

I originally used it power a MP3 and GPS. I now have the GPS powered from the this little jewel by Blue Sea. The power ports also come off here as well my Stebel Nautilus horn, and driving lamps.

The other is in the trunk to charge cell phones or my Netbook while running down the road.

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

1996 Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200A
1978 Yamaha XS650SE

CMA #63099 North Texas Area Rep
TMRA #30043
IBA #31625
kmitch
Current bike(s): 1996 Kawsaki Voyager XII

Post by kmitch »

I put one exactly like Davids next to the fader and another inside the right compartment. The one on the right powers an ipod that is connected through the cassette player. i can also run the ipod through an onboard intercom system and it plays through speakers inside my (and my wife's) helmets.
Well now they call me the breeze
I keep blowin' down the road
I ain't got me nobody
I don't carry me no load

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”