2009-2011 kams kit

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

veeger1
Current bike(s): 2011 Vulcan voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

2009-2011 kams kit

Post by veeger1 »

Has anyone installed the cams kit? is it difficult or should I pay the three hundred dollars for the install?
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: 2009-2011 kams kit

Post by hank43 »

veeger1 wrote:Has anyone installed the cams kit? is it difficult or should I pay the three hundred dollars for the install?
Not difficult at all, if you can handle wrenches and read instructions. Let me ask you this,
1. what year is the bike
2. Is it still under warrantee (New or extended)

My bike is an '09 Voyager, I did the KAMS install myself, it is not that hard, but you will need torque wrenches (inch pound and possibly foot pound in capacity) and a decent set of socket, box, and end wrenches METRIC sizes of course, and a decent work area. One of the problems I had, was that my motorcycle garage is only a single car, and part of that room is taken up by a 2 cylinder air compressor, a bunch of welding gear, some hydraulic jacks, etc..

A part of the kit is a new radiator, new hoses, new fans, and other bits and pieces. You should not attempt this without the shop manual, as you will need to know how to remove the radiator (after draining it) and some other things the printed install instructions that come with the kit require, but don't really explain how to do. (Like something described as a "Cross over pipe" which is actually the mounting for the diode bridges for the charging circuit. Although there are pictures, they are not really that clear without looking at the the shop manual.
If you don't know how to drain the radiator without removing half the fairing and the gas tank, and other engine components, (I didn't) I would opt for the $300 dealer install.
And remember, if the bike is a 2012 or newer, it already has the KAMS on it.

hank
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
jhellman
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2009 Voyager

Post by jhellman »

I have to admit I'm not all that technically handy for larger projects, so I paid the dealer to do it. Worth every penny to me to have it done by someone else.
Joe Hellman
Central Point, OR
debron
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Post by debron »

There are enough parts and pieces I think I would do the same!
Ron in Oregon
AVA Webmaster ("master" is optimistic!)
AVA Board Member
1995 Voyager XII
bobber
Current bike(s): 09 Voyager
00 ZRX 1100 (just because)

Post by bobber »

What does the KAMS kit do?
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

bobber wrote:What does the KAMS kit do?
KAMS, OR KAWASAKI AIR Management System, is a system for the Voyager 1700 V-Twin consisting of a shroud and tight fitting gaskets for the radiator to engine interface, a new radiator, new hoses, and the all important REAR fan and engine shroud to direct the hot engine heat downward and away from the passenger. The new rear fan is switched on with the front fan, under control of the engine fan temperature sensor.
This does not make the engine run cooler, but does direct the heat away from the rider and passenger. I installed it on my 2009 Voyager when it first came out, along with wrapping the pipes, and replacing the radiator coolant with "Engine Ice". End result is that it does seem to make the bike a little cooler, especially in traffic. I think the KAMS was standard factory equipment from 2012 on.

hank43
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Godlover
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Voyager

Post by Godlover »

hank43 wrote:
veeger1 wrote:Has anyone installed the cams kit? is it difficult or should I pay the three hundred dollars for the install?
Not difficult at all, if you can handle wrenches and read instructions. Let me ask you this,
1. what year is the bike
2. Is it still under warrantee (New or extended)

My bike is an '09 Voyager, I did the KAMS install myself, it is not that hard, but you will need torque wrenches (inch pound and possibly foot pound in capacity) and a decent set of socket, box, and end wrenches METRIC sizes of course, and a decent work area. One of the problems I had, was that my motorcycle garage is only a single car, and part of that room is taken up by a 2 cylinder air compressor, a bunch of welding gear, some hydraulic jacks, etc..

A part of the kit is a new radiator, new hoses, new fans, and other bits and pieces. You should not attempt this without the shop manual, as you will need to know how to remove the radiator (after draining it) and some other things the printed install instructions that come with the kit require, but don't really explain how to do. (Like something described as a "Cross over pipe" which is actually the mounting for the diode bridges for the charging circuit. Although there are pictures, they are not really that clear without looking at the the shop manual.
If you don't know how to drain the radiator without removing half the fairing and the gas tank, and other engine components, (I didn't) I would opt for the $300 dealer install.
And remember, if the bike is a 2012 or newer, it already has the KAMS on it.

hank
I'm picking up a 2011 tomorrow that the previous owner has the extended warranty. Does the extended warranty cover installation of the Kam system?
MNBK
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2011 Blue/Silver Voyager

Post by MNBK »

No the extended warranty does not cover it. I put some heat deflectors from RJOriginals on my 2011 Voyager and it made a difference to me.
Dave Smith
AMA, BK, CMA
2011 Blue/Silver Voyager
buckshotbob
Current bike(s): Vulcan Voyager
Vstar Silverado

Post by buckshotbob »

I installed the jams kit on my 2011myself right after it became available. Took an afternoon and was money well spent.

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”