The Grizz is down (but not out!)

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

LordKaos
Current bike(s): 1984 ZN1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

The Grizz is down (but not out!)

Post by LordKaos »

Had our first ever road trip planned last weekend - 300 miles from Cincinnati to Dawson Springs, KY. About 150 miles in, the temp gauge goes off the chart. I pulled over to let it cool off, and noticed coolant on the engine, just under the thermostat housing. I knew we couldn't make the rest of the trip, so I turned around and headed back towards Louisville. Once back in civilization, I called some towing companies, but none were willing to make the trip back to Cincy. At one guy's suggestion, I started looking for a u-haul truck. Once I did find a truck, I was told by the u-haul guy that I couldn't haul the bike, because the weight would tear out the wall-mounted tie down bars. Don't get me wrong, this guy was NOT being difficult, he was just being honest. I know this because he put a ton of effort into helping find a way to get us home. He brought over his buddy, an insurance agent with an office in the same building, and we all started working to find a solution. After several failed attempts at finding rental trailers and/or pickup trucks, we came up with the plan of leaving the bike at the u-haul shop (locked behind a gate), renting a car to drive to Cincy, where I rented a trailer, then returned with the car and our vehicle with the trailer to retrieve the bike (after spending the night at home). Hauled the bike right to the shop and dropped it off. It was a long, HOT, 2 day ordeal.

Just heard from the shop, and the damage is this: blown head gasket and base gasket, which means removing the engine from the bike and a top-end tear down. Hopefully once inside, they won't find any other problems. Having the head milled, and replacing the thermostat as part of the repairs. Once its all done, I should have an engine that is ready for anything. This is the shop where I bought the bike, and they had already replaced the cam chain tensioner before they put it on sale, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Now, I'm not thrilled about the cost of the repairs, but it's still cheaper than replacing the bike. Most importantly, I learned that there are still good people in this world, who will drop everything to help someone else. Thanks Harry and Frankie!
LordKaos (Kevin)
1986 Honda VT700 Shadow "BlueBear" - SOLD
1984 ZN1300 "The Grizz"
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 228 times

Re: The Grizz is down (but not out!)

Post by Me Again »

As long as it's all apart ,have them check the water pump.
The impeller has been know to come loose or in some cases the bevel gear goes bye bye .
Really sorry about the problems ,but it does feel good when you find people who will drop everything to help someone in need.
LordKaos

Post by LordKaos »

Will do. Thanks for the tip!
LordKaos (Kevin)
1984 ZN1300 "The Grizz"
addonii
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by addonii »

You may also want to review the recommendations from the KZ1300 website on the use of a OEM head gasket rather than an aftermarket item.

These can be found at: http://www.kz1300.com/techfaq.html

Search for “Gasket” should give you everything you need to know.

Here is part of the discussion:
Q: Hi, I'm rebuilding a 79 kz1300 and in the gasket kit there are 18 large o-rings that are shown to go at the base of the cylinder, although it is not clear to me how (there are six of one size and 12 of another, slightly different). I'm confused, can you clear this up? I've looked in the manual and cannot find any reference to these rings. Thanks, Kevin

A: Hello Kevin, Two things. DO NOT USE THAT AFTERMARKET HEAD GASKET! It will leak. In my opinion no manufacturer except Kawasaki makes one that does not. I can tell you are about to use one as only an aftermarket manufacturer supplies you with those O-rings. What they are supposed to be for is to seal the cylinders to the block if you were to press out the liners. The problem is they are not the correct thickness and will not seal the cylinder properly. Don't be cheap as this engine will not tolerate ham fisted service. And read my articles in the FAQ about rings, cylinders and oil consumption. paul@kz1300.com
LordKaos

Post by LordKaos »

Well, it was a loooonng wait, but my bike finally came home on Thursday...just in time for attempt #2 at the road trip we were on when everything went south before. Thankfully, I can report now that the bike performed flawlessly, even doing highway speeds for extended periods in high 90 degree heat. The temp gauge would start to creep up if I was stopped in traffic for any length of time, but never maxed out. 600 miles round-trip, and I'm just pleased as punch. Now I have the next few weeks to make up for all the missed riding time over the last month or so. :)

The top-end was rebuilt, with the head being milled, water pump drive shaft was replaced, impeller was OK. Replaced oil seal, thermostat, water temp sender, various seals and o-rings.

I can't say enough good things about the folks at Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati (http://www.cadrecycle.com). Enzo Miller and his crew are good people and they treat you right. One of the mechanics there rides a 1980 KZ1300, so you know they have experience with that engine. I just like stopping by their shop and seeing all the classic bikes they have in for service...it's a history lesson every time!
LordKaos (Kevin)
1984 ZN1300 "The Grizz"
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

I love hearing about shops that still exist like the Kawasaki shop that got me hooked back in the 80's. Classic bikes and willing to do quality work on these machines. Most shops now won't even touch a Voyager XII for routine fixes, let alone engine work. I will make it a point to stop by this shop and purchase something the next time I'm going through Cincinnati. Thumbs up and Glad to hear of your ride being back on the road.

Kevin Braddy
IPVMC
President

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”